Real World Evidence – RWE
Real World Evidence (RWE) and Real World Data (RWD) can be defined as health-related data / evidence obtained from multiple sources outside of traditional clinical research trials. Accordingly, RWE is typically valued based on its’ potential in complementing and validating clinical trial data.
According to the FDA
- RWD is “the data relating to patient health status and/or the delivery of health care routinely collected from a variety of sources”
- RWE is “the clinical evidence regarding the usage and potential benefits or risks of a medical product derived from analysis of RWD”
RWE can be used, for example, to demonstrate the value of a certain treatment or technology for patients, healthcare service providers and society. Due to comprehensive healthcare, data in digital format, a personal ID, and progressive research legislation, Finland is a true model country for Real World Evidence studies.
Medaffcon has the most extensive experience in analyzing and utilizing RWE in Finland. We have been conducting RWE studies since 2013 when the Biobank Act came into effect and allowed for more extensive use of the data when conducting research. Our RWE studies are closely related to health economic perspectives on cost-effectiveness of interventions. We are closely involved in supporting and developing the unique data sources in Finland.
We provide individually tailored RWE research services to different healthcare actors. Our scientific experts and bioinformaticians ensure that the correct research methods and data sources are used to answer your questions.
Medaffcon’s RWE studies have concentrated on, for example:
- Disease burden of different patient groups
- Use of healthcare resources
- Diagnostics of rare diseases
- Treatment lines and outcomes
- Characteristics of patient subgroups
- Outlining regional treatment practices
Check out our publications
U.S. Food and Drug Administration – FDA defines RWE: Real-world data (RWD) and real-world evidence (RWE) are playing an increasing role in health care decisions.
Read more about the RWE possibilities in Finland
What is Real World Data and Real World Evidence? What does it look like and how can it be utilized? What makes Finland’s real world data so special?